If you have any further suggestions feel free to comment. The presentation pack from the evening can be found attached below.
- Co-operative shop – several people share staffing, financing, managing and risk in a premise selling goods created or procured by its members.
- The WI runs a stall in Baldock each Friday morning – they have a business model, and, uniquely, dispensations from some health and safety provisions.
- Art co-operative – Dot-to-Dot sort of do this, as do the Arts Centre.
- We could perhaps add a stall (or stalls) to the Growers' Market produce swap stall.
- Letchworth's only independent greengrocer has recently closed, leaving a potential niche.
- How about a Letchworth department store?
- Letchworth probably needs a coffee bar aimed at teenagers which would give them somewhere to meet. Particularly important as the new DaVinci school will bring more young people into town.
Business support services
- Hackspace, where individual designers can tinker, experiment, create – make or procure 3D printer, laser cutter etc.
- Entrepreneur club, for start-ups etc to share experience, skills etc.
- Local to co-op to retro-fit housing, and provide renewable energy
- “Pay it forward” scheme, where people provide care to elderly, and bank the hours to spend when they need care.
- Owner occupier sheltered housing is too expensive, and social provision not of high standard.
- Norton Hall Farm is a complex with several small apartments, shared laundry facilities, common rooms and a visitor suite.
- Letchworth Building Society, or local “Bank of Dave” which could connect local savers with local businesses.